Challenges to Decennial Counts
The U.S. Census Bureau will accept challenge submissions from governmental units beginning June 1, 2011 under the Bureau's Count Question Resolution (CQR) program.. All challenges must be received by the Census Bureau no later than June 1, 2013. The CQR program accepts three types of challenges from local and tribal governments:
- Boundary corrections for functioning governmental units that were legally in effect on January 1, 2010
- Geocoding corrections that affect the placement of living quarters and associated population within the correct governmental unit boundaries and census tabulation blocks.
- Coverage corrections to add or delete specific living quarters and the people living in them that were identified during census 2010 but erroneously included or excluded due to processing errors
The Census Bureau will not collect any additional data or conduct additional surveys during this challenge process; it used only those data that were already collected as part of the census.
Information about the CQR program:
Challenges to Population Estimates
The total population estimates prepared annually by the U.S. Census Bureau may be challenged by states, counties and incorporated places under the provisions of Title 15, The Code of Federal Regulations (C.F.R.), Part 90.
- If a governmental unit wishes to challenge a population estimate prepared by the Census Bureau, the governmental unit's chief executive officer or highest elected official must initiate the challenge process
- The Census Bureau requests that challenge packages be received no later than October 1 of the year in which the estimate was released.
- In any instance in which a local government and the Census Bureau cannot resolve a challenge through the informal procedures, the governmental unit may file a formal challenge
More information about challenges to population estimates is on the Census Bureau's Web site at http://www.census.gov/popest/archives/challenges.html
To see corrections to Iowa counts, choose one of the following files: